Thank you for your recent enquiry about Little Roo’s Pre-School 2. This prospectus contains information about our setting.
If you wish to secure a place for your child, please speak to the Manager.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions you would like to ask or arrange a time to view the setting and meet the Manager and Staff.
Tracey Smith & Zoe Farren
Little Roo’s is a well-established Pre-school which has been operating for over 15 years.
Our first Pre-School is in Dock Road, Little Thurrock, Grays. Within the hall of St. Mary’s Church. Opposite Tyrells Hall Club.
In 2020 we opened our Second Pre-School with-in the hall of the United Reformed Church, Bradleigh Avenue, Grays.
We provide childcare for children aged 2-years to 5-year olds. We aim to provide a homely and loving environment for all the children in our care.
‘Curiosity’ All children are curious. This is their instinct of finding out about our world.
Here at Little Roo’s we provide a natural world of learning. Our resources are mainly of natural elements, such a wood rather than plastic.
We provide opportunities for the children to open their minds and allow their imagination to help their learning.
By using natural resource their child can choose what they want ‘that disc of wood’ to be. It may be a coin, a slice of cucumber, a magic disc’ anything. The opportunities are endless. That plastic piece of cucumber is a plastic piece of cucumber!
We watch and observe how your child interacts with the resources and assists in opening their knowledge by enhancing the area they are interested in.
We allow the child to lead their play and staff will interact and question your child, which will allow them to use their thought process.
Children at Little Roo’s PLAY.
They are curious, engaged, stimulated, socialising and learning, but most of all they are having FUN!
Early Years Foundation Stage
At Little Roo’s we are guided by the ‘Early Years Foundation Stage’ (EYFS)
This is a statutory Framework that sets the standards that all early year’s providers must meet to ensure the children learn and develop well and are kept healthy and safe. It promotes teaching and learning to ensure children are ready for school and gives the children the broad range of knowledge and skills to provide the right foundation for good future progress through school life.
Areas of learning and development within the EYFS.
Prime areas: (children 0-5 years)
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
Specific areas: (children 3-5 years)
- Understanding the world
- Expressive Art and Design
Children at Little Roo’s PLAY.
They are curious, engaged, stimulated, socialising and learning, but most of all they are having FUN!
Ways of Learning
As well as defining the areas of learning and development, the framework draws attention to the importance of recognising the ways in which children learn, through:
- Playing and exploring
- Active learning
- Creating and Critical thinking
These are the approaches and attitudes that children bring to their learning and at this age are as important as the knowledge and skills they acquire.
Monitoring Children’s Progress
The framework includes a progress check to monitor individual children’s development between the ages of 2 & 3 years. Staff will endeavour to carry out these checks and record the information which we be given to the parents and shared with the children’s centre once permission has been received.
This check will focus on the 3 prime areas of learning and development and is provided as an early ‘screening’ of children who may be at risk of developmental delay. This will provide the opportunity for us to work closely with the parents and provide additional support where necessary.
When children reach the end of the EYFS (for most children, this will be at the end of Reception)
We will share all information gathered with you during your child’s meeting. (Held termly)
Hours of Opening
The Pre-School is open 50 weeks a year except for Public Holidays.
Please note this is opening from and to, For individual session times please see fee structure and session times below.
Monday 8.30am till 16.00pm.
Tuesday 8.30am till 16.00pm.
Wednesday 8.30am till 16.00pm.
Thursday 8.30am till 16.00pm.
Friday 8.30am till 16.00pm.
Collection of Children
All children are expected to arrive for the start of their session on time and ensure their child will be collected at the end of their session. Unless prior notice is given, there will be a charge of £1 per minute after the first 10 minutes, if it becomes a regular occurrence you will still be charged, and you may lose your place at the Pre-School.
Staff must be informed if a person other than the Childs’ parents are picking the child up, your Password must be given by the person collecting ensuring the highest security is maintained at all times. Staff will not allow a child to leave the setting with any person’s unknown to them.
Once you have completed your application, we will arrange a ‘home visit’
This will be a Senior member of staff and your child’s potential ‘Key Person’.
They will spend some time with you and your child (no more than an hour) within familiar surroundings for your child. This helps them feel more comfortable and at ease when meeting us for the first time.
We will talk about your child and ensure the registration documents are completed. At this point we will require to see your child’s birth certificate or passport.
Once this is completed you and your child are invited in for a ‘settle visit’
You are required to stay with your child for 1 hour to ensure your child is comfortable. During this time, you will be required to complete your child’s ’first All About Me’. This is an informal chat about what your child likes and dislikes, what they can do also if you have concerns. This will be with the Manager and your child will have the opportunity to play alongside their potential ‘Key Person’ who they have already met.
If your child requires additional settle sessions, please speak to the Manager at this point. If you feel your child is happy to continue the transition the Manager will confirm with you, your child’s start date and time.
During your child’s morning session, they will be offered fruit and a biscuit.
Along with milk or water.
This is given around 10am.
Those children who are attending a 6-hour session are required to bring a ‘Packed lunch’
We are a NUT FREE environment therefore please do not put anything which may contain nuts in their lunch.
- This includes Nutella or any other nut-based chocolate spreads.
- No fizzy drinks
- No cooked food (fish fingers or chicken nuggets)
- A small chocolate bar is permitted (as a treat)
Please ensure their pack consists of an ice pack as we do not have the facilities to refrigerate lunch.
The staff we employ have qualifications and/or experience in working with children, they have all been chosen for their kind, cheerful, friendly disposition and for their genuine love of children. We may take on staff that are training towards a qualification. We also have students working at the Pre-School, they are gaining experience and working towards a qualification in childcare.
All members of staff and all students must have an enhanced DBS clearance when working with children, we do this as soon as employment has been offered, if they have not been cleared before they start work, they will not be left unattended with children.
Policies and Procedures
We keep company Policies & Procedures in a folder in the office and we can email these to you on request. It is your responsibility to make yourself aware of these for future reference.
2-3 years 1:4
3-5 years 1:8
Information we hold about you and your child
We have procedures in place for the recording and sharing of information (Data) about you and your child that is compliant with the principles of the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 as follows:
The data we collect is:
Processed fairly, lawfully and in a transparent manner in relate to the data subject (you and your family)
Collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed to other purposes incompatible with those purposes.
Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes of which data is processed.
Accurate and where necessary, kept up to date.
Kept in a form that permits identification of data subjects (you and your family) for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the personal data is processed.
Processed in a way that ensures appropriate security of the personal data including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisation measures.
When we hear ‘School Ready’ Sometimes we think:
Can my child write their name?
Can my child count and recognise numbers beyond 10?
Can my child read?
This is what ‘School Ready’ actually means:
- Independent and able to care for themselves
- Confident to make choices and say what they want or need
- Comfortable to talk to adults and other children
- Happy to build relationships and friendships
- Curious and eager to find out about the world
Child Protection (Safeguarding) children
Little Roo’s have a robust Child Protection Policy and Procedures (Safeguarding) in place. All staff are responsible for the Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and have received training in order to carry out their role.
Staff are also required to be alert and report anything they feel constitutes inappropriate behaviour by other members of staff.
Fee Structure and Session Times
The Pre-School caters for 3 or 6 hour sessions, Monday – Friday.
*please see terms and conditions
|8.30am – 4pm||30hrs||30hrs||30hrs||30hrs||30hrs|
|8.30am – 11.30pm||£18||£18||£18||£18||£18|
|9am – 4pm||£18||£18||£18||£18||£18|
|12.30pm – 3.30pm||£18||£18||£18||£18||£18|
|1pm – 4pm||£18||£18||£18||£18||£18|
Lunch: 11.30-12.30 – £5
ALL funded children are required to pay £5 per HALF Term to cover the cost of Fruit, Biscuits, Tissues etc.
Early Year Education Entitlement (Funding)
Children from the term after their 2nd birthday may be entitled to 2-year funding. This is given to directly to the Pre-school by the Local Council when parents fit the criteria. You will receive a letter from the Family information service at Thurrock Council if you are eligible.
If you feel you may be eligible, please contact them direct.
They will issue you with an eligibility code of which we require on your application pack.
All children are entitled to 15 hours of free childcare the term after their 3rd birthday.
Please complete the application form and ensure their Birth Certificate number is enclosed.
(we are required to see this during your home visit)
Children over 3 years may get an additional 15 hours. This is called (30 hours entitlement)
To see if your child is eligibly please visit www.childcarechoices.gov.uk.
You will be allocated a code of which is required to be given in the 30 hours declaration.
The fees are payable monthly/ in advance.
If your child has been absent over a long period of time, please discuss this with the Manager.
For your child to keep their place at Little Roo’s you are required to pay for all allocated sessions, you must pay the fees, even if your child is absent owing to illness. You will need to sign a contract acknowledging this requirement.
Where funding is not received, or your child attends additional hours fees will apply.
Term and Conditions
We would like to advise parents to take notice of the terms and conditions stipulated below. By signing the application form you have agreed to the following:
- If your child receives Education Grant Funding and you fail to sign a funding form, you will be liable to pay 15/30 hours. When receiving 30 hours please ensure you have signed the declaration.
- Please note: 30hr funding may be used 8.30am-1pm 50 weeks of the year. Additional sessions will be charged at sessional rate.
- If your child is collected late from Pre-School you will be charged a rate of £1 per minute after the first 10 minutes. If you are going to be late please contact the pre-School asap so arrangements may be made to care for your child.
- Fee increase will be notified 4 weeks in advance.
- If you intend to remove your child from the Little Roo’s a 4-week written notice is required. Any outstanding fees will be required before your child leaves. Failing to comply will result in court proceedings being taken.
- Invoices are due on the first day of month in advance of attendance.
- Parents are responsible for all fees billed. In the event of non-payment by a 3rd party ie, Local Council, vouchers etc (for whatever reason) will deem the parent liable for payment.
- We do not operate on Bank Holidays; therefore, no charge is made and invoices are amended accordingly.
- We do not give refunds for sickness or holidays as your child’s place is held open for them. If the child does not attend for any reason, we are unable to provide additional sessions free of charge.
- Failure to pay promptly will result in a late payment charge of £25.
- All payments are to be made via BACS. Details can be found on the bottom of your invoice. If payment is not made after this charge has been added, the child’s hours will be decreased to the funded entitlement only. If the child is not entitled to the funding, then their space will be removed immediately.
- Little Roo’s retain the right to refuse entry to the setting if your child is unwell. If your child falls ill whilst at the Pre-School the parent will be asked to collect them. In an emergency Little Roo’s reserves the right to call a doctor or ambulance and taken to the hospital if necessary. Of which prior permission has been granted. (Please see Admin pack)
- Little Roo’s retain the right to use their discretion in deciding whether or not to accept a child. The Pre-School retains the right to remove a child by giving 24 hours written notice.